Friday, February 1, 2013

We Want Kindy NOW Please!

Gracie has been a little difficult lately and the main reason is, she is BORED! I can't keep this girl entertained for longer than 5 minutes and she has lost the ability to play by herself.
"Mummy, I bumped my foot."
"Mummy, Joshie's tshirt got wet."
"Mummy, there's a leaf on the carpet."
"Mummy, what are are you doing?"
"Mummy, I brush your teeth!"
"Mummy, I'm not tired." (I don't even ask, she just feels the need to tell me this 100 times a day)
"Mummy, Mummy, Mummy" ALL DAY LOOOOONNNNNGGGGG!!!!
All you Mum's know the drill, it's driving me batty!
I brush my hair and she needs to help, I make the bed and she wants to help, I go to the toilet and she wants to pass me the toilet paper, I look at my phone and her head is on my shoulder, and she is WHINING!!! Oh my gosh the whining!
So yesterday I got up, got the house straightened up, waited for Joshie to go down for a nap and put everything else on hold (something I find very hard to do.) I had a whole heap of ideas in my head for us to do but the main idea was to play with her ALL day long and keep her busy and entertained.
Here's what we did.....



Whilst doing crafts Gracie decided that this was much more fun


Valentines is coming up so we thought we would try a heart mobile for above her bed


Gracie got all excited about the Lollipop sticks and decided to paint them and build a house for 
Peppa Pig.






 Bouncing and swinging with all our teddy bears


Throwing apples in the back garden as far as we could 




Learning how to count with the beads, match numbers to dots and eventually read the numbers

Building with as many blocks as we could find


And then I fell asleep on the sofa whilst Gracie played shops (I couldn't believe it!!)

She was so well behaved ALL DAY LONG! She ended the day playing by herself.
But I can't keep this up every day. I didn't do any housework or errands or anything. Joshie was having a good day and had two naps, and I didn't really DO anything for him or with him all day, he just played along with us.
Gracie needs to be at Kindy! She thrives in this kind of environment.
She is an ANGEL at Nursery on Sundays lately and that's because it's so structured.
Thing is, the demand on the shore for Kindy's is high so she isn't going to get in to one until she is at least 3yrs 6 mths. So she is going to be with me ALL day EVERY day for another 7 months. I don't know who I feel more sorry for.
Any ideas?
A mate of mine said I should start enforcing quiet play. Where she plays for half and hour (at first) by herself. She isn't allowed to ask me for anything until the buzzer goes off. This means I have some time to get some stuff done OR time to myself! *sigh* If only!

p.s. I'm not proof reading this I am falling asleep at the keyboard, just be thankful for a blog!

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Ok I just left 2 comments and it's not working.
If you wanna know my idea email me and I'll tell you.
Catch this up.

Kristin said...

You can send your kid to kindy at 3 1/2???? Dang. I need to move to NZ! I have THREE MORE YEARS OF ZEKE!!!
Good job being IN the moment-- it is hard, but you're a good mum for giving her all your attention. My ideas are one hour quiet time in her room. It's mandatory for us on Sundays. does she watch any TV? I'm a big fan of the TV babysitter! What about games on your phone? Zeke will play w/ my phone for a good 30 min. at a stretch. Lots of free 3 yo educational apps... hmmm... Friends? Surely you can swap w/ someone? 2 kids entertain themselves much better, even if they destroy your house, they won't bug you for hours! I don't know man-- Luke used to do this to me, drove me crazy, he was NEVER a self entertainer from day one. In fact he STILL whines at me if he's bored! ARGH! Good luck!

Crystal said...

got no ideas cause preston is a whiner and won't play by himself either, BUT can I just say I think your day looked awesome, what a cool mum!

Kelly said...

Hey Jess - you are such a cool mum. I totally know what you mean. Emma didn't start kindy til she was 4, and I thought it would drive me crazy (and it did sometimes), but in the end I really enjoyed that extra year of having her at home. She learned to just do what I was doing, we made dinner together, did washing etc. She actually turned into a really good little helper. I'm totally bummed that she starts school next week because she won't be around to help me out! Ha! Also, once they start kindy it's kind of the beginning of the end, you know? First afternoon kindy, then morning kindy, then school, and they are never totally yours anymore. We got annual passes to the zoo which we LOVE. Also having a few things scheduled in to break up those long days helped. It's a hard stage you're in, but in some ways it's also a really magical stage, before your life revolves around pick ups and drop offs etc. I think you kind of do the hard yards with your first in this area. Once the other kids are that age, they have older siblings coming and going, and it's kind of different. Anyway, those are just some of my (long-winded) thoughts. India is kind of at the same stage as Gracie, so we'll see how she survives the time at home with me before she gets into kindy! Anyway, you're doing such a great job, you don't need to know what I think. Ha!

Dru said...

First off Kristin, Kindy is preschool, not kindergarten.
Second, good job starting the month off fresh with a new blog post.
Third, I got nothin.

Beth said...

Trust me I know the feeling. A suggestion for you... if you have friends with kids the same age you could set up a 'joy school' basically you rotate having a pre-school at your house. If you had four friends you would only have the kids once a month and you could choose how many days a week you did it. But basically you just teach them something, have a craft, have a snack... and so on. Might give you a few hours relief and her some good exhausting play time!! Love you... you are a fabulous mum!