Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Best Dad In the World Award!

Well, You could be thinking from the title "what is he on about now?" I must say I am pretty chuffed. Jessie emailed me a design and said can you make this? I thought 'yeah i'll give it a crack'. When I saw these pictures I thought 'I got this!'
 As I started on the design I went into the Woodwork Room with high hopes. I let the teacher know my plans and they said 'use whatever you can find', so sure enough that was all I need to just help myself.  I pulled a piece of wood out that was big in size and cut and painted it.
 I made this a class discussion asking the kids what they thought about the ramp. There is a 90º angle, a triangle always adds up to 180º, at what angle should the ramp be so it doesn't smash at the bottom but flows right off. The kids were hard out into it. Every fitness session we would look at my design first to think about improvements and better design for my destroyer (Joshie).
As I was creating it students were so intrigued in asking me 'what is it?, who is it for? you're such a nice dad! It was honestly a time where the students watched and listened to exactly what I had to say and was doing. It's like they were in a trance with me explaining my errors, plans and success'.
 With a coat of varnish and a few stickers this is the final product. I am truly happy with it and found joy in making it. It took me about a week and any living moment at school I was in that woodwork room making a toy for our boy. Lunch time, before school, after you name it I was there. 
I am proud of this. It was therapeutic, exciting and can't wait to see Joshie's face when we give it to him. Oooooooh he is going to be so excited. I love my children and glad I didn't go to the warehouse and buy him something. Yes it could of been easier, and wouldn't of taken so long, but why would you change it? It might be destroyed, or even not played with much, but my philosophy is 'you always enjoy/love what you create!' It is definitely the case with this. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

You guys are gonna have this forever.
It'll be that sturdy you know.
Nothing at the warehouse will do that.
Good you included the kids you know.
Can't wait to see the vid of Joshies face.

Kristin said...

This is the kind of teaching they do at Paradigm. Engaging, interesting AND educational. Good job. Maybe you should take up toy making as a side gig.

Dru said...

Looks good Haydn. I like the improved design of adding a guard rail so the cars don't fall off the edge. And the sticker is a nice touch. Well done.